NOWA is a society of professional outdoor communicators – magazine and newspaper writers, book authors, editors, photographers, radio and television broadcasters, videographers, illustrators, and artists – dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in outdoor journalism. Our subjects of interest not only include fishing and hunting, but boating, camping, hiking, wildlife viewing, and all other activities that focus on the enjoyment of the outdoors. In addition, our members are increasingly involved in environmental issues and the preservation of wildlife habitat and wilderness areas. Missed our 2016 Conference at Diamond Lake Resort, Oregon? Here’s a peek at what you missed! https://spark.adobe.com/page/ALhRccW7IkSoH/
NOWA represents a broad geographical area of the northwestern United States and western Canada covering Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories.
Goals of NOWA
- Further the improvement and ethical development of professional communications skills.
- Provide a network of professional assistance and support for all members.
- Keep members informed of news and information pertinent to outdoor activities and industries.
- Support the conservation of natural and recreational resources of the Pacific Northwest.
NOWA was organized in November 1973, by Fred Goetz, Don Holm, and Joe Van Wormer of the Portland area: Howard Gray, Enos Bradner, Harvey Brown and Mildred Ericson of the Seattle area; Ed Park of Bend; and Ray Stose of Salem. The first organizational meeting came as a result of discussions among interested members at several conferences of the OUTDOOR WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA (OWAA). After initial formation, charter membership in NOWA remained open until January 1975. Don Holm, outdoor editor of THE OREGONIAN was elected as NOWA’S first president and served two terms. He was succeeded by Fred Goetz in1975.
- Publication of the monthly NOWA Newsletter and annual Membership Directory. UPDATED 2016-2017 MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY POSTED TO MEMBER’S ONLY PAGE.
- Organization of an annual Excellence in Craft Contest to reward and showcase the work of NOWA members. CONTEST DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 31, 2016
- Presentation of Craft Improvement Seminars during the Annual Conference.
- Scheduling of outdoor educational and public relations events.
- Organization of outdoor rendezvous and trips to various locations around the Northwest.
The NOWA newsletter FIELD NOTES is published 10 times a year by the Northwest Outdoor Writers Association, a registered Washington non-profit, tax-exempt, public supported Corporation. It is recognized by the IRS as a non-profit organization under IRS 501(c)(3) Code.
Contributions to the NOWA newsletter in the form of feature articles, news items, letters to the editor, etc. are always welcome. Manuscripts should be submitted via email to Chuck Robbins, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include photographs whenever possible. Deadline is the 20th of the month preceding the month of publication.
Executive Director: Adela Jackson
Website updates email ADELA: email@example.com
Mail: NOWA Headquarters, PO Box 82222, Fairbanks, AK 99708